News Ticker

Menu

English - Some common spoken words and their usage


Welcome to ourindiajobs.com online test on English. HI friends, here we are providing you Some common spoken words and their usage  English  will helps you to crack your online bank exams. This material on English  will be covered with all topics. Little bit of concentration and hard work may do this online test on English . Practice more tests on English  it will helps you to manage time. Success comes from confidence. Go ahead with confidence, win the race and achieve your target. All the best for test.


Keep going

Meaning: Continue

Usage: keep going. You need the exercise.


Drop by

Meaning: Visit for short time

Usage: I dropped by the camera store to pick up our photos.


In charge of

Meaning: Responsible for; supervisor of

Usage: He is in charge of training new staff.

Note: sometimes in charge of + _ing


Running short of time

Meaning: Getting close to a deadline

Usage: I’d love to finish this meeting soon. Let’s move on to the next point because we’re running short of time.


Get a move on

Meaning: Go faster

Usage: We have to get a move on if we want to finish by Wednesday.


Ahead of/ on/ behind schedule

Meaning: Faster than planned / as planned / slower than planned

Usage: Please drive faster. We’re behind schedule.

Project is going fine. Everything is on schedule.


Tied up

Meaning: Busy doing something that you can’t stop

Usage: I’m tied up now, but I’ll be free in an hour.


Held up

Meaning: Delayed

Usage: I got home at 10 o’clock last night. I was held up at the office doing paperwork.


No wonder

Meaning: Now I understand why

Usage: I didn’t study. No wonder I failed.


It slipped my mind

Meaning: I forgot

Usage: I was supposed to meet my friend last night, but it slipped my mind.


Under a lot of pressure

Meaning: Feeling stress

Usage: Students are under a lot of pressure at exam time


Put up with something

Meaning: Accept something bad

Usage: my office is freezing, but I put up with it because I love my job.


Right away

Meaning: Immediately; now

Usage: The client is waiting. He needs the report. I’ll get it right away.


It’s not the end of the world

Meaning: The situation is not very bad

Usage: I hurt my knee, but it’s not the end of the world. I can still play golf.


In the same boat

Meaning: In the same situation

Usage: We all lost money last year. We’re all in the same boat.


Can I take a rain check?

Meaning: Can we change the plan to another time in future?

Usage: I have to cancel our plans for lunch today. Can I take a rain check?


On top of that

Meaning: In addition to; also

Usage: I’m very busy. I have two children, I work full time, and on top of that I take evening classes.


For good

Meaning: Forever; permanently

Usage: I’ve tried to quit smoking before, but this time I’m quitting for good.


I heard it through the grapevine

Meaning: Someone told me something as gossip or a rumour

Usage: He lost his job. I heard it through the grapevine.


Better off doing something

Meaning: Say this to show a better choice

Usage: the bus takes five hours. I’m better off taking the train.


Run into someone

Meaning: Meet someone unexpectedly

Usage: sometimes I run into him at the bank. We both go on Mondays.


We don’t see eyes to eye

Meaning: This is a polite way to say we don’t agree

Usage: we both agree on the problem. But we don’t see eye to eye on the solution.


Play it by ear

Meaning: Do it without a plan

Usage: Don’t book a hotel room. Play it by ear. Look for a hotel when you get to the city.


Come off

Meaning: Become detached

Usage: I bought a cheap suitcase. The wheels came off after one week!


Give someone a hand

Meaning: Help someone

Usage: He had to photocopy 100 pages, so I gave him a hand with the job.


Get by

Meaning: Manage but with difficulty

Usage: we don’t have much money, but we can get by if we don’t spend much.


Can’t make it

Meaning: Not able to attend

Usage: He’s working late. He can’t make it to the movie.


Share This:

Jillur Rahman

I'm Jillur Rahman. A full time web designer. I enjoy to make modern template. I love create blogger template and write about web design, blogger. Now I'm working with Themeforest. You can buy our templates from Themeforest.

No Comment to " English - Some common spoken words and their usage "

  • To add an Emoticons Show Icons
  • To add code Use [pre]code here[/pre]
  • To add an Image Use [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]
  • To add Youtube video just paste a video link like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_gnfpL3RM