News Ticker

Menu

Some Important Idioms


Hello readers, often in the exams we come across some idioms in English Section. So here we are providing you a list of some idioms which will further boost your exam preparations. Hope you all like the post..!!


Idioms: A gate crasher

Meaning: Someone who attends a party without being invited

Sentence: Nitish warned his friends to expect Gaurav and Ayushi at the party because they are known to be a gate crasher.


Idioms: A heart-to-heart talk

Meaning: A frank and open discussion

Sentence: I, wet and Owen had a heart-to-heart talk about their troubled friendship.


Idioms: A go-getter

Meaning: Someone who is determined to succeed in life

Sentence: Uma is a go-getter; she will do anything to achieve her dreams.


Idioms: A necessary evil

Meaning: A negative / unpleasant thing that has to be done in order to survive

Sentence: Divya needn't regret her decision as it was a necessary evil ground her son in order to teach him an important lesson.


Idioms: A nest egg

Meaning: Money saved for the future

Sentence: Neeraj has very wisely started a nest egg for his retirement.


Idioms: A queer fish

Meaning: A strange person

Sentence: Geronimo is a queer fish--he behaves in the strangest way and says the oddest things


Idioms: A rap on the knuckles

Meaning: A scolding , criticism

Sentence: The Mayor received a rap on the knuckles from the Prime Minister for allowing the streets in the town to remain dirty .


Idioms: A rotten apple

Meaning: someone who is a bad influence on others

Sentence: Tom's friend avoid him because he is a rotten apple


Idioms : A skeleton in the cupboard

Meaning : A secret

Sentence : Roxy wanted to get more information from Layla as she knew there was a skeleton in the cupboard.


Idioms : A sight for sore eyes

Meaning : Something very beautiful to look at.

Sentence : Khushi was a sight for sore eyes in her new party dress.


Idioms : drop in the bucket

Meaning : something that is not important because it is very small.

Sentence : "I'm sorry I scratched your car."

Reply: "Don't worry about it. It's just a drop in the bucket. That car has more scratches on it than I can count."


Idioms : Give somebody The Slip

Meaning : to escape, or get away from that person

Sentence : Quick-there is a police car behind us; let's give him the slip.


Share This:

Jillur Rahman

I'm Jillur Rahman. A full time web designer. I enjoy to make modern template. I love create blogger template and write about web design, blogger. Now I'm working with Themeforest. You can buy our templates from Themeforest.

No Comment to " Some Important Idioms "

  • To add an Emoticons Show Icons
  • To add code Use [pre]code here[/pre]
  • To add an Image Use [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]
  • To add Youtube video just paste a video link like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_gnfpL3RM